HOW PRETTY ARE THESE?!
I’m so excited I finally had a moment to document these insanely pretty and EASY taco bowls. I’m obsessed with them! As you guys know, I try to live a light carb life – as in, if I can cut carbs somewhere and it’s still good I will. BUT, sometimes a good homemade pasta is just the answer and I’m f*cking eating it. This meal happens to be one that I can live without the main carb, which is a tortilla. Love burritos, tacos, taquitos, floutas, etc. but sometimes you just want the flavors of Mexican food minus all the carbs.
I also love when you can throw a meal together from the random ingredients in the fridge and this bowl is perfect for that. I always switch it up based on what’s in the fridge so feel free to do the same. In fact, I think this became a tortilla-less bowl because I was out of tortillas and didn’t feel like going to the store lol. Win win!
Scroll down for the recipe.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 Pound ground turkey
- 2 Cups rice, cooked
- Taco seasoning (a packet will do)
- 1 Can black beans
- 1 Bell pepper, stripped (I like orange or red)
- Cojita cheese, crumbled
- Avocado, sliced
- Pickled onion (I get mine at the farmers market)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Olive oil
WHAT TO DO:
- Cook your rice on the stove or in a rice cooker, set aside.
- Heat a pan with olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook your ground turkey until browned.
- Add your bell pepper strips & black beans to the pan .
- Season all of it using the taco seasoning pouch, add 1/3 cup of water and let simmer on low heat.
- Layer a large bowl with rice, ground turkey / black beans / bell peppers, cojita cheese, pickled onion, avocado, cilantro, and squeeze fresh limes over everything.
*Tip: You could very easily swap the bell pepper for zucchini, broccoli, or cauliflower. Any veggie works really!