WHAT I USE TO EDIT + SHOOT MY PICTURES

Hover over any product above to shop.

I love the reaction I get when people find out 90% of my pictures are taken on the iPhone. I used to work with a photographer for all of my content, but I’ve just come to terms with the fact that the iPhone quality is good enough and a lot easier. I was very into my Canon T3i for years but sadly the iPhone has taken over my life. While the iPhone quality is even good enough for videos since it has a stabilizer, I still use my Sony 5100 for beauty videos because the microphone is good. Plus, it gives the skin a nice smoothness while the iPhone is very crystal clear (aka, you see everything).

Over the years I’ve invested in lighting since I film a lot in my house and you can’t really depend on bright natural light every day. It’s not the most convenient since they are large and bulky and take up so much space, but my guest room has officially turned into my storage unit, so…

Also, not included in this post are the side tables, decorative boxes I use as risers, the vanity mirror, and bed I sit on while filming. Sometimes you just have to get creative to make it work. I’m sure all my fellow vloggers out there get me. Basically I’d rather utilize things in my house than buy MORE crap I have no space for.

Lastly, here is a breakdown of apps I use to edit my images & videos.

-VSCO: To filter my images, I use VSCO. I like the A & J series….if you don’t know what VSCO is or how to use it…GOOGLE IT!

-FaceTune: Not ashamed at all to say that when I have a blemish I do, in fact, remove it. No one wants to see that up close. I also smooth out my legs when they look vein-y, and if my outfit is unflattering (oversized) sometimes I’ll “reshape” it since the camera can make things look FUG.

-Kira Kira: I don’t use this too often, but when I want to add that sparkle effect to my photos or videos I use Kira Kira. It’s a paid app but so fun!

-iMovie: To edit any and all videos, I use the most basic editing program in the books. iMovie is the first program I ever learned to use (thanks to Lital), and I have yet to learn something more complex. For now it gets the job done.

-Photoshop: For collages (like the above), I use Photoshop. I learned how to use it in school years ago and it’s probably the most valuable tool I acquired at FIDM. In order to link products, I use my affiliate program Reward Style.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions on my editing and shooting tools & I’ll reply down below in the comments.

Posted in Blogging Tips · 9 Comments

9 Responses to WHAT I USE TO EDIT + SHOOT MY PICTURES

1. Jasmine says:

Super excited about this post! No shame in using Facetune! Guilty myself for using it when I have a pimple around that time of the month. I’ve been on the hunt for a tri-pod and camera so I’ll definitely have to check out the items you listed.

2. Lauren says:

How do you remove a blemish with Facetune? Also, do you have any reccs on the best way to learn photoshop? Thanks Sivan!

3. Sarah says:

I love this post so much! You crack me up. I use my iPhone for a lot of pics too and most companies always pick the iPhone pics anyways lol. My question is, what app do you use to put music on your videos?!! I struggle with this so bad! I have SoundCloud but can’t figure out how to add music too it. I love following y’all! Thank you for your time! Xoxox

4. Gabrielle says:

Thanks for sharing Sivan! I love your blog! You have a forever fan over here! I hope to meet you one day. How do you edit photos raken with the camera (not iphone)? Lightroom? How do you keep them looking the same since you edit your Iphone photos with Vsco?

Thanks babe

5. Sharon says:

You make the best videos so I love to read about what equipment you use. I love the new face filter in ig stories too! I use it all the time, I think everyone does. I am just getting into Photoshop, unfortunately I never took a class, I was pre-med, so no photoshop, but I’m using you-tube for help right now.

6. Madison says:

To make your look as cohesive as possible do you rely on filters (like A and J series on VSCO) or the editing process… I want to start a blog and heard that for your Insta you should use the same filter to make everthing look cohesive but sometimes a certain filter doesn’t work well with some lighting… What do you recommend?

7. Shannon says:

This is SUCH a helpful post! I love your videos, they are so well done yet still relatable at the same time and that’s something I strive for with my {future} youtube that I aim to launch this year. I’ve been wondering how you made the cooking snaps so thank you soooo much for sharing these tripods! Looks like next on my agenda is to learn iMovie (also +1 on the question regarding adding music – would this be in imovie too?). I live in a tiny ass SF studio so I love your approach in using things you have! xx Shannon

8. Love this post! It is so informative. Any tips on how to get started -basic ideas for someone who’s a beginner!? :)