MY SKINCARE ROUTINE

Sivan Ayla Skin Routine
F I N A L L Y !

I know you guys have been waiting a while for me to share this, but I’ve been refining the routine for quite some time and really wanted to divulge everything once it made sense and I saw results. When it comes to beauty, skincare is my priority. To me, makeup is just there to enhance your natural beauty, which is why healthy skin is always the goal. Looking healthy starts from within (we all know this), and with skincare you often have to trust the process since a lot of it is working internally (aka, you don’t see immediate results). Hence the reason I’ve waited to share my skincare routine–I needed time to test everything out properly.

In this video I share a story about my visit to Paris a few years back and how I fell in love with a skincare line I thought was was French. It turned out the skincare line was, in fact, made & sold in the United States and that line is SkinCeuticals.

Fast forward a few years and I’m sitting at lunch with the SkinCeuticals team, including a scientist who develops the products, learning all about their latest research and developments to help our skin fight environmental factors we have no control over (ie: UV rays, pollution, etc.). As I approach age 30, gaining knowledge beyond just what’s written on the label of a skincare product is extremely thrilling to me. I like to know how products work–which ingredients do what, what to look for in a product, how to minimize signs of aging, & so on.

Everyday we are exposed to sunlight and pollution, which contribute our skin’s atmospheric aging. If that’s a new term to you don’t worry, it was to me as well. In a nutshell, these aggressors include UVA rays and ozone pollution (among other things), and will visibly increase the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, sagging skin, and discoloration (no, no, no, & no thanks!). To help prevent, correct, and protect your skin from all of the above, SkinCeuticals has developed daytime antioxidants that help neutralize atmospheric aging. When paired with a sunscreen your defense becomes doubly protected.

Going home that night I was nervous and excited to try the new routine they gave me since I wasn’t sure how my face would react (and hi, it’s my face!). But just like that time in Paris, I was instantly hooked on every product all over again. The routine leaves my face looking hydrated and “glowy,” just like I like it, and the best part is it’s protecting and correcting my skin from atmospheric aging. It also helps that a study by Skin Ceuticals is published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology…these people are not messing around!

For a complete breakdown of the products I use, the order in which I use them, and a video recapping everything, scroll down.

Processed with VSCO with j5 preset Processed with VSCO with j5 preset Processed with VSCO with j5 preset Processed with VSCO with j5 preset
MY SKINCARE ROUTINE:

Morning

1. Rinse face with water. I like to start with a fresh face each morning, starting with some cold-ish water, and allow it to air dry. No towel.

2. C E Ferulic. This Vitamin C serum is developed to protect your skin from environmental factors and helps improve the appearance of wrinkles, loss of firmness, and brightens the skin’s complexion.

3. H.A. Intensifier. If you can properly say hyaluronic acid (HA) in the first try I’m jealous. This product is currently my favorite. I’ve never used a serum that hydrates my skin in such a visible way. But this serum doesn’t just hydrate–it actually has a high concentration of pure hyaluronic acid, Proxylane and purple rice extract to help renew plumpness, elasticity, and firmness. The HA is there to regulate your moisture levels, and in turn leaves your face looking resilient and glowing.

4. Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50. I’m very aggressive about protecting my face in the sun every single day. On a trip, I’m even more gnarly. This sunscreen is the best because it’s sheer. Meaning, you won’t have that white residue that changes your skin color or makes your makeup funky. It’s super lightweight and protecting.

Night

1. Remove makeup. Always, always, always, always take off your makeup at night. Even if you’re too tired, drunk, or not wearing that much…DO IT.

2. Foaming Cleanser. After the makeup is removed I wash my entire face with this foaming cleanser. It’s really important to get your hairline and neck as well. This cleanser is gentle but effective, which is exactly what I like since my skin can be a little on the dry side.

3. H.A. Intensifier. I do this twice per day. It’s so moisturizing you can even stop at this point, but I like to give my skin that extra hydration by adding Step 4.

4. Daily Moisture Cream. This cream is nutrient-rich and helps minimize the appearance of pores. At night there is no better feeling than going to sleep with a thick layer of this on my face.

If you have any questions for me about these products or SkinCeuticals in general, feel free to leave them below in the comments.

This post is in collaboration with SkinCeuticals. As always, all opinions are my own.

31 Responses to MY SKINCARE ROUTINE

1. Lindsay says:

Hi Sivan! Love your blog, I check everyday for new posts. :)

Thanks for sharing this really informative post about skincare. I struggle to find a routine that works for me because I have pretty oily skin. Do you feel like the SkinCeuticals products make your face feel oily? Or are there other products that they carry that are for oily skin specifically? I feel like I need to moisturize my skin but I’m always hesitant to use a moisturizer because sometimes it makes my skin even more oily.

Thanks!!
    Lindsay

• Sivan Ayla says:

Hi Lindsay,

They have products that are specifically geared towards oily skin, but many of the bottles I’m using say normal to oily skin so it sounds pretty universal. I don’t think it should make you more oily. Hope that helps!

XO

2. Brittney Style says:

Hi Sivan!

Thanks for the awesome skincare post! Your skin is amazing! I just bought the Uma face oil after your recommendation. Haven’t gotten it yet but now I’m thinking I need the HC serum instead. I’m not super dry but I’m obsessed with a healthy, glowing skin. Do you think they are similar? If you do, which one do you like better?

Thank you so much in advance! Love, love, love your blog!!

Xo,
    Brittney Style

• Sivan Ayla says:

Hi Brittney!

I LOVE the Uma oil. I use that mostly at night if my skin needs a little extra TLC. The HA serum is great for everyday use. Totally different feel. However, the HA serum leaves your skin glowing without the oily residue.

XO

3. Kelly says:

Hi! Thanks for posting your skincare routine! :)
    When you do your masks, which order should that be in?

Thank you!!

Kelly

4. Judith Martinez says:

Hello,
    I was wondering if the items you use for your face safe for acne prone skin?

5. Jennifer says:

Totally unrelated- but can you link the top you’re wearing in this video to your Instagram story? #swipeup

6. Kyra O. says:

Do you feel like you struggle at all with blemishes/pimples/bumps? Or do these products also prevent skin issues such as this because of all the other benefits like a domino? I’m always worried about switching to a serum based routine because of not enough products fighting acne-which I never thought I would have such an issue with as an adult!

• Sivan Ayla says:

I definitely have my monthly zit during that time of the month, but I typically spot treat it with a product that was prescribed to me. Overall my skin stays in check so I think the products help maintain clear skin for the most part.

XO

7. Isabel says:

Hi! Curious if you have any advice or knowledge on sun wrinkles on the chest? How to help prevent getting more and shrink the ones I already sadly have!

• Sivan Ayla says:

Hi Isabel,

My neck sadly has one defined wrinkle that drives me nuts. Basically all moisture products I take down to the neck now as well. Hydration and SPF all the way! Not too sure about reversing but I’ll talk to my dermo and see if she has any info.

XO

8. Kelli says:

Hi. I previously read your post about your visit to Dr. Kidd and the products you were using through her line…do you no longer use those products? If so, what made you decide that? I was just curious as to your opinion on Dr. Kidd’s like compared to this line. I’ve used a brand called Neocutis, but it doesn’t give me the results I’m looking for.

• Sivan Ayla says:

Hi Kelli,

I was going to Kristy Kidd for the last couple years and using her products to get my skin under control. Prior to that I was using Skin Ceuticals so I’ve been working it into my routine off and on for a long time. Recently I’ve made the switch entirely and I’m loving how my skin looks.

And sidenote, Kristy Kidd’s products are often sold out, which makes it really hard for me to keep up with the routine she prescribed for me.

Hope that helps!

XO

9. Nikki says:

YEEES!! I’ve been waiting for this post for sooo long, I can see why you kept saying you were waiting to post about it because it was confusing haha. Thanks for sharing!!! will definitely be investing into some of these products xx

clarissanicole.com

10. Amy says:

What do you use to remove make up?

11. Abby Cotterman says:

Hi Sivan! Thanks for this awesome post. I def need to get some of that HA intensifier. I know you have done a couple Instagram Lives of your makeup routine. What is the BB cream that you use that makes your skin look glowy?

12. Alice says:

Hi! Can I use Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50 under BB creams in Summer? I use BB creams everyday, even when weather is very hot… (((

13. Samantha says:

I have been hearing some good things about this company but have also heard that they have a strong odor. I am very sensitive to odors. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

14. Yahaira Fernandez says:

After reading your blog and watching your video on your skin routine, I decided to give it a try. We all have different skin types and different problems we deal with. My issues are oily skin ( ughhh I seriously wish I had dry skin sometimes lol) and I’m prone to acne. I’m always on the hunt for products to help me fight these issues. So I decided to give this line a try and I am COMPLETELY in love with the products I purchased. I’ve noticed my blemishes are going away and some of the acne marks I had are fading away YASSS!!!. Thank you so much for introducing this line to us, it literally has been life changing to my skin. Xo all the way from the east coast NY.

15. Amanda Beakes says:

Thanks for sharing Sivan! With this weather lately… I’m in need of face protection and hydration!

16. Brandon says:

Hi Sivan! I stumbled across your site while researching Christie Kidd. I am thinking of going to her for help with my acne. Do you no longer follow her regimen?

17. Katharine says:

Hi Sivan. Do you reapply the Skinceuticals spf on your face during the day at all? I would think it would screw up my make up but am also not sure how effective it is if I just apply once in the morning. Thanks!

18. Tamara says:

Hi Sivan!

Just a quick one. Do you still use your UMA oil or is this solely your skincare routine now? Just wondering whether or not to splash out on Skinceuticals aaannndd UMA oil #hubbysgonnakillme

19. Ashton says:

Thank you for the tips! I follow you on social media and am always blown away at how gorgeous your skin is so I am really excited to put your tips to use. Thank you!! http://www.moisturizers.com

20. Christine says:

How did you feel about the ce serum smell? Do you feel like it lingers all day?