5 BLOGGING TIPS | ON HAVING A VOICE

Blogging Tips
I love turning to my readers for inspiration on what to post next. Sometimes I find myself at a real stand-still and the only way to move forward is to get some feedback from my audience. After all, I’m here for you. Something that has been brought up a lot lately is my Instagram Stories. Apparently they work in my favor because I’m giving a real glimpse into my day-to-day life, as well as showing more of my personality and voice. Well first off, thank you! I love that you guys like me just as I am (life is a lot easier when you can be yourself!). But honestly, IG Stories has created this whole new platform for me that I really, truly value.

I find myself connecting with my readers and viewers more than ever. We have talked about how time-consuming it is, but what else should I be doing with my time?! I mean, am I really too busy to respond to the people who have given me the opportunity to be an Influencer?! Before I totally bite myself in the ass I should preface this statement by saying that, yes, I do more than just take cute pics and respond to comments on Instagram. We all know that building a blog as a business takes a lot of time–emails, strategy, meetings, networking, content creation, editing, etc. Don’t get me wrong, my days are FULL, but I make it a priority to reply and connect with my audience as much as possible.

I don’t know about you, but when I watch other people’s IG Stories I find myself tapping really fast when I get to accounts that overuse filters, don’t speak, or show the same things. Reason being, I follow a good amount of people on Instagram and I need something stimulating and different if I’m going to watch your Story. The ones who face the camera, let me hear their voice (literally and metaphorically), and are comfortable in their own skin are the ones I crave more from. I want to see more people that inspire me and give me something I don’t already see. Does that make sense?

With that being said, I’ve been asked many times if I could share tips for feeling more comfortable in front of the camera when filming on IG Stories or Snapchat. Trust me, I get it. I’ve had the thought ‘does this ever get easier?!’ more than once, and the answer is YES. It does get easier, but it takes lots and lots of practice. To read more about my tips on this scroll down for more.

Getting Comfortable On Camera How To Talk TO the Camera Starting A blog Having A Voice
5 TIPS FOR FEELING MORE COMFORTABLE ON CAMERA:

-Stop overthinking. First and foremost, just stop thinking about it. I know it is easier said than done, but just imagine you’re speaking to someone casually, rather than a staged monologue on camera. You don’t panic and get nervous gossiping with your girlfriend at coffee do you? Of course not. Pretend the camera is your group of girlfriends. If needed, do it while you’re sipping on some wine, might help loosen you up a bit. Just don’t make a habit out of ONLY talking when you’re buzzed.

-Don’t script yourself. Mistakes are sometimes what might resonate with your audience even more than what you’re actually saying. Because let’s be real, most people are not getting blogger mail on the reg that they have to unbox on camera. So while that part is entertaining to your following, it’s not exactly relatable. Making mistakes while speaking though, is. Plus, it’s SO obvious when you’ve practiced or planned your speech rather than just letting it naturally flow. Have fun with it. SUCH cheesy advice, I know. But honestly, showing your audience that you’re okay laughing at yourself and being silly goes a long way.

-Don’t depend on filters 24/7. Sure, we’ve all been there. You look like shit but need to get on camera. Throw on the good ole pig or cat filter on Snapchat and suddenly you’re cuter than if you were all made up (story of my life!). BUT, the voice changing feature is super obnoxious for more than 1 or 2 snaps, and people want to see the real you (even though I’m way cuter as a pig????).

-Don’t feel the need to replicate. If you follow more than a handful of bloggers most likely you’re seeing a lot of the same thing. Maybe it’s just a subliminal instinct to post what you’re watching, but it seems like a good amount of bloggers post the same thing (myself included): boxes of new product, flay-lays of product(s) thanking brands, Boomerangs drinking cocktails, etc. etc. While it’s part of my day, I definitely find that my audience is more receptive to things like me speaking to the camera or a conversation with Paul. I can’t help but think it’s because they’ve seen 10000000 girls doing all of the above, but one thing for sure is no one can replace me speaking to the camera. Be you, and in doing so, your content is more original and authentic (without even trying).

-Mute your video. When I post to my IG Stories I mute my videos while editing (adding text, filter, etc.). I think it’s a proven fact that no one likes the sound of their own voice, right?! So to avoid torturing myself, I mute it, edit it, then post. And aside from saving myself from the cringe-worthy sound of my own voice, it doesn’t give me the opportunity to change my mind because I didn’t like the way I said something or how I sound. What’s done is done.

I watch my day’s Story back each night and by then my audience has seen it, commented on it, and so far no one has ever once commented about my annoying voice, that I stumbled over my words, that I sound dumb, etc. Basically all the things that I would overthink in the beginning are all in my head. And if people ARE thinking that, who cares. Be confident in who you are and that’s what people will see, not your “mistakes.”

SHOP THE LOOK:

28 Responses to 5 BLOGGING TIPS | ON HAVING A VOICE

1. Shanna says:

OMG LOVE THIS POST!! I agree with you 110% that people who use filters 24/7 either to talk or just take a pic of themselves are super annoying and/or boring. Although that may sound a little harsh but deep down I know it has to do with their confidence and I have to realize they don’t have the same confidence that you or I have. Sometimes I want to scream at the phone while watching my friend’s Snapchat and say “omg talk already! Say something!” I’ve even told my friend that before, questioned why she doesn’t talk LOL! Again, same reasons you mentioned above…she doesn’t like the sound of her voice, etc. and it’s fine, no one is forcing her to do anything but I seriously understand where you’re coming from! It can be frustrating and annoying!

2. Your Insta stories are my favourite!!! And you’re right – no one is you and that’s your most valuable asset ;) You come across so natural, hilarious and your relationship with Paul is so fun to watch. Thanks for letting us all in, and keep doing what you’re doing – almost 100k! Are you going to drink all that rosé to celebrate? ;)

3. Fiona says:

every question i’ve asked on your instagram, you haven’t responded to. literally, every single one.

4. Madison says:

This is so helpful, thank you! I think it is definitely one of those things were you just have to go for it and learn from what is working and what isn’t. I have always been surprised at the amount of engagement I get when actually talking to the camera. The more you do it the more natural it feels. Thanks for all the blogger tips, love them! Keep them coming!

5. Melody Khan says:

Such a great post, your advice is spot on and inspiring..we forget often that our natural self is our best self. Thank you for the tips, love your blog and Instagram ❤

6. Aimee says:

Thank you so much for these tips! I really want to start speaking on my Instagram stories and even maybe do videos along with my blog in the future but as soon as the camera is on my I tense up and can’t speak. I also really hate my voice and I don’t know if its because I have a Scottish accent I don’t know how it would sound on the Instagram stories.. I also worry what people would think when I did it, I’m a little self conscious & always afraid of people making fun of me haha. I’m sure i’ll get used to it eventually but these tips have made me feel tones better about trying it out!

Aimee x

• Sivan Ayla says:

Accents are the BEST! I wish I had a cool one. You should totally embrace it. I love nothing more than listening to people with an accept speak ;) I’m sure I’m not alone.

XO

7. vibewithnat says:

Hi sivan,
    Im so happy you did a post about this because I find its something I struggle with mainly because what you said the sound of our voices. Ive been reading your post for a while now I was never actually into reading blogs but then i stumbled upon yours, every time I feel uninspired, or feel like my hard work goes unnoticed Im always reaching for my laptop and finding myself going straight to your blog, I love how you have tips and secrets about EVERYTHING, you never hold back on giving tips to help your readers start their own blog or whatever it is so thank you for that btw I’m loving your IG live I feel like were actually talking friend to friend lol, btw congrats on 100k!!!!! :)

• Sivan Ayla says:

Thank you!! Really appreciate the feedback and love. I really enjoy sharing my experiences and insight so I’m happy to hear I’m a source of inspo for you :)

XO

8. Hannah says:

Love these tips Sivan! Your blog has quickly become a favorite of mine for all of the reasons above. You stand out and are inspiring. Keep it up :)

9. Hannah says:

Champagne Lifestyle

10. Vanessa says:

Love this post and absolutely love you and your Insta Stories!! You got it dead on as to why we all love your stories so much, it’s because you keep it real and that seems to be pretty rare these days on social media. I LOVE that you don’t use annoying filters (I tap that soo quick when others do it gets annoying fast), and that you show us glimpses into your everyday life. You and Paul are so cute and funny together, without being annoyingly perfect lol (even though you both are quite perfect looking). It’s fun to see what your life is life as a blogger, your guys adventures together as a married couple, and also your cool fun life in Cali (aka my dream place to live – I live in Vancouver where it’s a bit colder haha).

Sending much love to you and your adorable family! xo

11. Nikki says:

Totally agree on the authentic stories. I am tired of only seeing perfectly curated images and cocktails and shots of high end products because, while I love it, I can’t relate to it. You are one of my favorite people on instagram and that’s exactly why! You’re relatable and we get to see the real you on a normal day!

12. Shelby says:

You are definitely making me more comfortable to be myself online. All I see is these perfectly curated photos and I used to be able to relate to some of my favourite bloggers, but now that everything is magazine quality I’ve kind of stopped admiring/checking on them? I mean it’s great, they’re gorgeous photos, but it’s a little tooooo much. Have always been a fan of “models off duty” than checking out their photos in Vogue if that makes sense? Any who, love your blog and Instagram stories!
    The Fernweh Wolf / Travel & Lifestyle Blog
    xx

13. Lauren says:

I’m so glad you posted this! I’ve been trying slowwwly to do more video because I know my audience loves it, but it’s super out of my comfort zone. It can also be a little challenging at work during the day! I’m going to use my Summer off to try and do it more! AND to pull the trigger on some blog/You Tube vidoes.

Thanks for the inspo and congrats on 100k!

XO, Lauren

14. Thank you so much for this post! This is something I have totally sent a DM about, and as always you inspire me for my blog! Such talent and this was VERY helpful!

-Sophie
    @cozylittlenook

15. I love this post! It’s definitely something good to keep in mind starting out as a new blogger myself. Side note – your insta stories with Paul/Richard are hilarious!!

16. Ingrid says:

I always get tired of following bloggers after some time, but not you. Been following you for years now… I wanted to know what camera you use for your pictures. They are all great!!!