I love nothing more than a recipe made easy. Things like pre-peeled garlic, fresh chopped onion, zoodles ready to go…that sort of thing. It not only motivates me to cook at home more, it helps save time when your husband insists on working out after work and we can’t eat until 9:00PM [insert flaming red Emoji face]. With that being said, I have a list of go-to recipes that take under 30 minutes from start to finish and this is one of them.
It wasn’t until I started shopping at Whole Foods (recently) that I discovered all these great resources that make dinner so easy. I’ve always managed to find easy recipes, but I never really appreciated the convenience of pre-done anything. If you’re a newb like me, Whole Foods has the best pre-cut fruit & veggies, which is obviously fabulous. That’s how this recipe was born–I saw summer squash zoodles ready to go and decided I would knock off my spaghetti recipe in exchange for this healthier, lighter alternative.
There are plenty of substitutions that can be made in this recipe if you’re not a meat eater, don’t like mushrooms, can’t tolerate spice, etc. Recipe below.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 container of summer squash zoodles
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 pack sliced mushrooms
- 1 jar of marinara / vodka sauce (your choice)
- 2 tblspns worcestershire
- 2 tblspns soy sauce
- salt & pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- Fresh Parmesan
WHAT TO DO:
- Cook your ground turkey in a pan. Once the meat is cooked, add the worcestershire, cook for 3 more minutes, set aside.
- At the same time, sautee your mushrooms in soy sauce in a separate pan until wilted & juicy, set aside.
- In another pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic.
- Add the zoodles to the pan and stir often for 6-8 minutes, allowing the zoodles to get juicy.
- Add the ground turkey & mushrooms to the zoodles, stir.
- Add the jar of sauce, lower heat to low and allow to cook / simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Once you’re satisfied with your sauce flavoring (feel free to add red pepper, oregano, basil, bay leaves, etc.), serve in a bowl with freshly shaved Parmesan.
SHOP THE POST: