VIDEO: LIVING ROOM TOUR

Deciding on the “comfy” living room layout, furniture, decor, etc. was just the most exciting moment in life for me. As you will learn in the video, my previous living room (with Paul) was just a nightmare. He was so stuck in that 1990’s bachelor pad mindset that I wasn’t even allowed to have a coffee table! We had to have this massive leather ottoman instead. So much yuck. Needless to say, the feeling of having a living room I love is such a relief.

I take such pride in my home that it pains me to have a space that I’m not totally in love with. Luckily we are past those days of Paul imposing his “style” on me. I guess you could say he has come around to the fact that I’m a pretty decent decorator and that he should trust me. I think he secretly feared that with that much power I would make the entire house pink or something.

While this room is still sort of a work-in-progress, I’m 80% there. I’m feeling pretty good about how the room is shaping up aesthetically and I’ve definitely been enjoying that massive comfy couch. We no joke sit on opposite ends and sprawl out with the pups.

More room tours will be coming soon so stay tuned & don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE!

Posted in My Home, VIDEOS · 13 Comments

13 Responses to VIDEO: LIVING ROOM TOUR

1. Slynn says:

Love it! Can you tell me how you keep your couch clean since you have dogs? I don’t just mean hair…I mean their slobber! Lol! I mean your dogs are smaller and may not do that so much but our dog is a medium sized and she pants and drips all over the couch or she will have an accident. So now our fabric couch is pretty much ruined with stains from trying to clean up messes! I think couch covers are tacky so once we get a new couch I don’t know what to do! I appreciate any advice! :)

• Sivan Ayla says:

LOL this is actually really funny because my husband is a total stickler about the couch. When we aren’t home we put up a little dog gate blocking the dogs out of that room. We have a different sitting area in the house so they hang out in there when we aren’t home. When we do watch TV in there we usually cuddle up with blankets and the dogs naturally want to be on top of the blankets. However, both my dogs don’t shed so I don’t really have to worry about hair. If their paws are dirty they just aren’t allowed on until they are clean. It’s a lot of work but worth it. ALSO, when we host parties no one is allowed in that room (husband’s rule lol). He is so paranoid someone is going to spill something on it. In fact, WE aren’t allowed to eat in there either. So….all in all, we keep it clean by limiting when it’s used and what is done in that room. Hope that helps!

• Slynn says:

I love it! Lol. Thank you! That does help and I’ll have to follow those rules when we get a new couch! Lol

2. Brooke says:

I love what you did with your bookcase! I would love to do something like that for my room. I can’t find the bookshelf online at ikea…but of course there are hundreds of pages of shelves on their website. Do you remember the model name of the unit? Also was the original frame wood that you just sprayed with the brass paint? Did you have to sand it down and use a finisher?

• Sivan Ayla says:

Thank you! I just spent a good 10 minutes going through different pages on their site and I’m not finding it! It used to be under bookcases or shelving units…super bizarre. I know they still sell them because my GF recently bought some. You may have to get them in store :/ They were metal with glass selves. I didn’t sand it or use a sealer, just sprayed 2 coats. Hope that helps! xo

• Soha says:

Hey girl! You said you got some of your pillows from etsy… do you have any idea where or where the other ones are from? I love the black ones too! Thanks for your help!

• Sivan Ayla says:

Hi! Honestly it was so long ago now but if you search “Moroccan pillows” on Etsy you kind of just have to go through all the vendors. Their photos aren’t the best so it takes a minute, but when you find a good one (they are usually one of a kind) it’s totally worth it!

3. Somewhereinthevalley says:

Same is happening to me with my pillows at the moment. My hubs is going to kill me because they’re all going to the guest bedroom where all my main living space rejects go lol… I have kind of a global Moroccan vibe going in my living room as well and I think I just went a little too bold on the pillows. Where did you snag your artwork? I’m having the hardest time committing.

• Sivan Ayla says:

LOL the struggle is REAL! My artwork is from Minted.com. They have a really large archive of prints and they offer the option to frame, which makes it a lot easier!

4. Amy says:

Love the room! I’m wondering where your area rug is from. Thanks!

5. Love love love your home decor style! My boyfriend and I are currently a month away from moving into our first home and I am already overwhelmed with choices. The minute we knew that we were getting a house I started shopping and quickly got overwhelmed with all the choices. I’ve taken a step back from buying furniture and decor and decide to start with the basics, so first things first – paint colours. I was just wondering what paint colours you use in your home? I love how you start with a neutral backdrop and add in personality and style with different decor pieces. This is my goal in our new home but I have been struggling with picking out a colour that is airy and bright.

• Sivan Ayla says:

Congratulations!! That is VERY exciting…especially your FIRST home. I was very eager to get started ASAP but do yourself a favor and take your time.

As for paint, the house was basically just “primed” in stark white. I have yet to paint any actual color so unfortunately I can’t help you there. If you go to Home Depot there are endless options of white though :)