So as it turns out, mixing chicken (my choice of protein) with pasta is bad food combining. I was forced to get a little creative with this one since it would be out of the question to JUST have pasta for dinner (protein obsessed boyfriend, remember?), and I was not ready to let go of pasta completely. And it was then that pesto, mushroom, & tofu pasta was born! It is easy, yummy, AND healthy!
What you need:
- Bag of spiral pasta
- Tofu (firm)
- Mushrooms, slices
- Black olives, slices
- 2 tblspns capers
- Pesto sauce
- Nature’s seasoning (basically salt & pepper in one)
What to do:
- Cook your tofu in a saucepan with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning on all sides. It will turn a little golden when done.
- In another saucepan cook your mushrooms until they extract their juice
- Cook your pasta to perfection
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl & serve
Although pesto can be bough pre-made, the small packages in the store are fast and tend to be more flavorful. Substitute water for milk and you will want to drink it up!
Tofu will look like this when it is done….